Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Review: When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare


When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare
Book Three of the Castles Ever After series
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: August 25, 2015
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.

What I Liked:

Favorite. Historical. Romance. Yet. I've read quite a few enjoyable ones this year so far, and plenty of awesome ones last year and in past years, but this one takes the cake for favorite historical romance novel of 2015 (so far). It's the best of the Castles Ever After series. Tessa Dare's best book yet, perhaps. I don't want to over-hype this book for anyone excited to read it but GUYS. It is so good! Favorite SCOTTISH historical romance!

Maddie Gracechurch invented a Scottish fiancee in order to keep her family from marrying her off. She gets nervous around a lot of people, and doesn't want to participate in her first Season. So she invents Captain Logan Mackenzie, and over the years, she writes him letters. And then kills him off, because he's not real! Except, he is. A certain Captain Logan Mackenzie does exist (the name is a common Scottish one), and he has received every single one of her letters. He's arrived in her small home in Scotland (long story about how she got the land), and he wants his part in what he thinks he is owed - a fiancee, and a home in Scotland, as promised.

Ahhh. Happy sigh. I don't even know how to review this book. It was so wonderful! From the start, it was a fun book. The humor and wit in this book are so heartwarming and lovely. I couldn't stop smiling as I was reading. Dare has a way with writing, in which her writing is so fluid and effortless, with plenty of humor. Again, the wit and humor are spot-on, and so enjoyable!

I liked Maddie - she is a tiny bit awkward, shy around even a small number of people, a hard worker, introverted, determined. She illustrates bugs, and wants to keep illustrating, but a husband might not let her. She also observes two lobsters (Fluffy and... Rex? I've forgotten the male's name - though I think it's Rex), hoping to see how they mate and molt and whatnot. She's a nerd, a dedicated one at that, and I like her a lot. 

Logan... gosh, there are no words. He is easily one of my favorite historical romance male protagonists. Scottish and sexy, he captivated me from the start. When he entered the story (for real, after all those years), I perked up. He's an intriguing guy, and I'm not just talking about him physically. Though he sounds like a hot, super tall, muscular, built specimen of a man with a killer Scottish accent... but he's also clever and witty, dedicated to his soldiers, and persistent. He never stops trying to get Maddie to marry him, consummate the marriage, get what he is after. And not in a malicious way! His reasons for wanting the holdings are noble, really.

The romance! Oh! I love how Dare develops the romance in this story. Logan is after Maddie from the start, not only because he wants to consummate the marriage and be the owner of the lands she lives on in Scotland, but also because he is intrigued by the girl who sent him so many letters. And he is very attracted to her. As she is attracted to him too! Maddie is intrigued by him, though she is also a wee bit intimidated by him. The two of them sizzle and spark as chemistry heats up between them. I absolutely love the development of the relationship, especially with the healthy dose of humor behind everything. So enjoyable!

I couldn't read enough of this story! I don't even know how long it is, I just know it wasn't long enough. In a good way, meaning I want more. While there is plenty of humor in this book, there are serious moments in which Logan and Maddie consider their relationship, their future, their friendships, their pasts. The truth comes out of them both in many different areas of their lives, both good and bad. There is "heavy stuff" in addition to all of the boisterous humor and sizzling chemistry!

Overall, I loved this book. It's earning a rare five stars from me, so of course I loved it! It's an all-time favorite historical romance novel for sure, and the best of this series. Romancing the Duke and Say Yes to the Marquess are both amazing! But definitely do NOT miss this one!

What I Did Not Like:

Nope, can't think of anything. La la la *rereads again* I actually have already reread this one, several times now.

Would I Recommend It:

Absolutely highly mostly definitely recommend this one! You need to read it! Even if you're not a big historical romance reader - if you like adult romance, then give this book a try! Tessa Dare is one of the best in the business, and you can't go wrong with any of her books, really. Her Spindle Cove series is quite good too. But THIS BOOK. *nudges everyone*

Rating:

5 stars. Guys. I begged for a review copy of this one from the publisher, and then threw my reading schedule and read this book way early (which is out of character for me). And then promptly reread this book several times, upon finishing the first time. Trust me when I say that YOU NEED THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIFE! Pardon the caps!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

26 comments:

  1. Clearly this shall be my Alyssa Recommends book for August!! Cannot wait till I can preorder my Kindle copy!! Scottish guys! Scottish accent!! Swoons!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yes! It was amazing! Hopefully you enjoyed Marquess, Pili! :D

      Delete
    2. *awkwardly replies a month later* That is awesome, I am glad!

      Delete
  2. I love that you loved this book so much! I have been looking for a good historical romance- can't wait for this one to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad that you loved that I loved this! I hope you read this one - and love it!

      Delete
  3. Oh man I need to pick this book up!! The plot sounds super fun and I think I'm already half in love with Logan ;) I haven't read too many historical romances but this is now at the top of that list! Awesome review, Alyssa :D

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf
    http://www.slantedbookshelf.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU DO! lololol Logan is a lovable guy ;) This is definitely one you don't want to miss!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I've missed out after reading your fun, enthusiastic review. I haven't read Tessa Dare yet. This one sounds like a blast with her made up fiance coming to life and actually wanting a romance and her geeky side being a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't quite missed out, this one is yet to be published! Definitely make sure you read it, Sophia - it's a *you* book for sure!

      Delete
  5. Wow this sounds amazing!! Another book I'm dying for and it's not even out yet lol. I'm just in need of a romance!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too far away though! August 25th is just around the corner :) I hope you love it when you read it!

      Delete
  6. Yay!! I need to catch up with this series before August so I can read this one :) I can't believe it's better than the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU DO! Liza, I personally thought the first book was amazing, the second book was even better, and this book was the best! The series just got better and better as the books came! :D

      Delete
  7. Wow, you've convinced me, girl, I MUST read this book! Visiting Scotland and staying in a haunted castle overnight was one of my all-time favorite trips EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaasss. Kimberley, this is a good one! And omg Scotland trip, that is awesome! I'm glad you had a great time ^_^

      Delete
    2. AHHH! This makes me so happy! I hope you looooove it when you read it, Kimberley :D

      Delete
  8. I love that you are reading so many romance novels. <3 You are awesome Alyssa :D Hoping I will want to read them someday too. So so happy you loved this one so much :D You make it sound amazing. <3 Thank you for sharing your stunning review sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love romance novels! If you read any, I hope you enjoy them. This one especially ;D Thank YOU, Carina!

      Delete
  9. YAYYY! I loved this one so much! It's definitely one of my favorite HR of the year. I'm getting ready to re-read this one next week. :D
    I really liked Maddie too, despite her being shy and you're right! Their chemistry was off the charts. I like how slow the romance was.
    Great review, Alyssa! You nailed every thought of mine with it. :)

    Also, random but, the other day I had a dream that Tessa Dare was writing 2 more books in this series and you and I were really excited about it on Twitter. I was so upset when I woke up! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo happy that you loved this one too! I've reread it twice already because it was just that awesome. Thank you, Nick!

      And OMG! That would have made my day, had it been true. You never know... your subconscious is pretty darn smart ;)

      Delete
  10. Arg, yes this book gets allll the stars! Soo fricken adorable. I loved Maddie and Logan and their build up of their romance and how Maddie tries so hard to find things to not like about Logan but than he does swoony things like read Pride and Prejudice all handsomely, mahaha.

    Great review, Alyssa!! Definitely can't wait for more Tessa Dare! This series was fantastic :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logan! <3 Sometimes he isn't even trying to be swoony, but he is. Love! The book part was one of my favorites - I half-expected the epilogue to feature a baby and him holding him/her in bed ;)

      More Tessa Dare, yes!

      Delete
    2. I finally posted my review of this if your interested!
      And epilogue like that would have been so cute! I wish Tessa Dare would write little novellas of them (and the other couples from the other books), I'd be all over it, haha.

      Delete
    3. That would be great, wouldn't it!?

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!